Starting a new website can sometimes be a bit of a daunting task. Where to start, what to do first are common questions clients ask themselves. To help you understand what's involved and what to prepare for, we've complied a top 10 list of important things to know before you start.
- Purchase your Domain Name: Buy your domain name as soon as possible. Nothing is worse than going to purchase your domain only to find that it's already taken.
- Write down your initial ideas: Being able to reference your ideas later will help your designer to understand your vision and deliver the website of your dreams.
- Gathering links to other websites: Keep track of the sites that you enjoy or that are similar to the style you wish to have. Being able to show us examples of the style you're aiming for is always helpful.
- Utilizing E-commerce: If you want to sell products on your site, try to gather and organize by category a list of all of your products. This will help us to build your product database.
- Security: If you will be conducting e-commerce, ask your designer any questions you may have about security. One Under Productions has over 15 years experience in providing security solutions.
- Dealing with SPAM: Having your own website also means that you can have your own email as well. If you have any questions about protecting yourself from SPAM, just ask. We can recommend several solutions to help keep your inbox clean.
- Advertising: Spreading the word about your new website is crucial if you want the world to know you're there. Your site is only as popular as you want it to be. Doing little things like making sure every piece of office material has your web address on it can go a long way. To achieve more substantial results, ask us about our advertising plans.
- Providing us with content: Any existing graphics such as logos and photos should be provided either on a CD, DVD or digital format like a ZIP or PDF file that can be emailed to us. All text should be provided in Open Office, Word or Plain Text File formats.
- Search engine rankings: Climbing the ranks on Google takes time. Fortunately, One Under Productions offers advanced search engine optimization techniques to help your site climb to the top.
Of course, there's more we could add to this list, but this should give you a good idea of what to prepare for. If you have any questions regarding the items listed above, please give us a call. We look forward to assisting you with your design needs.